Click Here for Acacia Information Leaflet
Acacia is a christian charity which was founded in 2004 by two local mums who both experienced postnatal depression and were determined to help other families. We have been supporting families ever since. Our services are free and are available to mums and dads in the Birmingham area who are experiencing pre and postnatal depression and anxiety.
What does perinatal mean?
The Perinatal period is defined as ‘from the point of conception through to the first year after birth’ however Acacia’s experience shows that perinatal mental health issues can extend beyond this period. Therefore, we work with families who have
a child up to the age of two.
What does Acacia do?
We provide, free of charge, a wide range of individual, group based and peer support services to help you recover from the symptoms associated with pre and postnatal depression and anxiety. Our services are delivered across Birmingham and they include telephone befriending, individual listening/befriending, CBT based group workshops, telephone support, practical support in your own home and massage therapy for parent and baby. One of the things that makes Acacia unique is that most of our staff and volunteers have experienced maternal mental health or other mental health problems. This helps us to better understand how you are feeling and to show you that this is a temporary illness and that you can get through this.
We work closely where possible with other family members. Postnatal depression affects mums and partners, and we aim to support the entire family.
For more information ring us on 0121 301 5990
At Acacia we value your feedback because it helps us to constantly improve our services.
If you would like to make a complaint or a compliment about any aspect of our service please download the Acacia Complaints and Compliments form by clicking here.
Alternatively you may ring our office and provide us with verbal feedback.
Acacia is a charity that works to improve the lives of families experiencing pre and postnatal depression. We believe that every individual who accesses our services should be treated with dignity and respect, have their choice respected and not be forced to do anything against their will. Acacia is committed to safeguarding all vulnerable adults and children coming into contact with the charity, regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or beliefs. Acacia personnel come into direct and indirect contact with parents. Some of these may be vulnerable adults. While the majority of Acacia services are delivered to adults, we also come into contact with their children. Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and all staff who, during the course of their employment have direct or indirect contact with children or vulnerable adults, or who have access to information about them, have a responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and adults.
For Acacia this means
1. ensuring that Acacia practices safe recruitment in checking the suitability of staff, freelancers and volunteers to work with vulnerable adults and have contact with children.
2. ensuring safe environments, checking the suitability of childcare providers contracted by Acacia, ensuring services are provided in safe environments and that sufficient safeguards are in place.
3. raising awareness of how and when to signpost vulnerable adults to appropriate services.
4. raising awareness of child and adult protection situations, and having robust internal processes and procedures for identifying, recording and reporting concerns or suspected cases.
5. building a culture that values and respects all children and adults and models appropriate conduct in line with our values.
6. setting out clear roles and responsibilities for safeguarding.
We value your personal information and we make every effort to keep it safe. We will never pass this information to anyone else for marketing purposes. Pease click on the Privacy Notice below for more information.
If you need help or support or have any questions please call.
0121 301 5990
or click here to email us